Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's in a name?

After school today, Eli was sitting in the car with Ariana and me. He had a notebook and crayons. I heard him ask Ariana, "How do you spell your name?"  Ariana spelled it out as Eli made the letters in his book.  Then he turned the page and asked, "How do you spell the word 'hate'? I just want to know how to write that word."  I got involved and asked why he wanted to spell hate. Realizing he was about to receive his hamundredth(Eli's hundred) lecture on why we don't hate,  He changed his tactic and asked how to write 'I do not like'.  I began spelling the phrase out.  When the last letter was formed, he turned the page back to Ariana. I asked Eli - what don't you like?  He pointed at the page and put a big X over her name.  I don't think Ariana will be spelling anything for Eli for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment