Monday, September 10, 2012

Ruler of the animals...

I'm so very excited! Eli has been chosen as the Grand Giraffe for this coming week in his classroom.( It is the equivalent of being student of the week, only Eli said it's greater because it's the Grand Giraffe and... well, it is a Giraffe after all!) Eli showed us the note from his teacher and it explained that Eli was able to be the Grand Giraffe because he had done something that had upheld the
 values of the school and he had shown respect for himself, his environment, and for others. He will get to have this honor for a week and with it comes the privilege of being the line leader and having a poster about you hung in the classroom. All of this was great, but Eli explained that the greatest thing about being the Grand Giraffe is that you get to rule the school and everyone bows down to you when you pass them and they give you things.( I failed to read this part in the letter, but Eli assured me that his account of the GG is accurate and factual.) I do have a few concerns...I don't think that he will be satisfied with one week( with all the bowing and serving and the giving of gifts, I know I would want it to go on...and on...and on), I'm not sure why his teacher left the serving and bowing and the basic transfer of power between adult and student out of her letter, and because of this great honor, will the school ever be the same? So ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure ( and bowing and scraping ) that I announce that my son is the Grand Giraffe. ( wonder if there are any perks for the Father of the Grand Giraffe...)


Being the Grand giraffe did have its perks for Eli. He got a genuine fake gold medallion on a red, white, and blue ribbon (that he MUST wear ALL week), a bracelet (that he MUST wear all week) and he is the leader of the hippos,giraffes, and the monkeys...maybe he really is KING of thhhheeeeee for-est!