Tuesday, November 12, 2013

to protect and to save...

I woke up this morning at 2:57 because I heard voices. It was Eli talking in his sleep. I'm sure he was talking to some superhero, or a friend, or he was developing a plan to take over the world, or devising some invention. He was getting a bit loud so I decided to get up and check on him. As I made my way through the darkness of my room, feeling my way around the familiar furniture on my regular path to the bathroom...which is also where the closet is that Sherri and I share...and, which also is my regular path to Eli's room. The bathroom has just enough light coming in through a stained glass window that it appears to be moonlight casting a soft glow on everything in the bathroom. It really is nice because you don't have to turn on a glaring light...you can keep that half asleep kind of shuffle going...that is until you glance into the nice soft moonlight coming through the stained glass window that fills the bathroom that connects to your son's room (who now is talking to someone or thing with great enthusiasm) and holds the closet that you share with your wife who lovingly washed and hung up your adult sized (6 foot tall) Batman costume that has now become a shadowy figure between you and your son...I went into rescue mode...I crouched down and started feeling for something to defend myself with and to protect my family...I came up with an arsenal of shoes...that I could throw...from the darkness...it was all I had and by now my heart was pumping...I was hoping that the superhero adrenalin would kick in...the kind that helps people lift cars or hold up buildings in the case of disaster. I moved into my attack position with the element of surprise on my side...and then I realized that shadowy figure hadn't moved...at all...and my eyes adjusted to my target...and my brain sounded the all clear. This morning I not only saved my family, but in a small way, I saved Batman too.